Thursday, October 1, 2026

Do the limbo rock/all around the limbo clock

I've been increasingly anxious about...everything, as my initial attempt at a married-person visa was abruptly denied with only three weeks remaining for me in France.  Would I hang tight for a while in Turkey?  Go work a season in the U.S.?  Spend all my money on an immigration lawyer?  We managed to submit a second type of request, and I have a three-month extension for now.

This is not as bad as my Colombian friend, who started a masters program on Monday, which was then canceled on Wednesday, invalidating her visa; but, you know, the university still wants her to pay for the semester.  We met for coffee and talked over her next move.  After, I picked my way through crowds of rowdy teenagers protesting education budget cuts, who demonstrated their displeasure by skipping school and smashing glass shelters at the central bus station.  Just as I got to my bus stop, smoke bombs and rubber bullets were shot in my direction.  The vestigial scrap of New Yorker I carry inside propelled me over to disapprove of this haphazard and ineffectual response.  If they really want me to self-deport, just keep more of that on tap.

And so it is with great anticipation that I pack my tent and roll up my sleeping bag -- at long last, my rucksack is again at the ready, with a generous wedge of cheese fuel for hiking!  We're headed to the Lozère, which is sort of equivalent to the Smoky mountains: very rural, rolling hills and rounded peaks not too terribly high, and rib-sticking cuisine.  It still feels like summer, but maybe the leaves will start to change towards the end of October.


I haven't been a good plant mom but this orchid chugs along yet


one of the cuter alleyways of La Rochelle


big harvest moon tide and pretty sunset light


No more dirty bakery prep book for me!




No comments:

Post a Comment